Sunday, April 24, 2011

AIU and Cafeteria Food

It is inevitable. Anyone who knows my family should not be surprised that my first post is about food. Here is my normal diet, the meal plan at AIU. The food ranges from delicious, to  "force myself to eat it so I will not be hungry".




Here is a typical breakfast. 
They will serve you - a random salad, a random meat, bread, and another side dish, anything from eggs to kelp. :P
Also, You get as much white rice and miso soup as you want. (It is a very good thing I like miso soup and rice).




As a side note, I eat a lot more than most Japanese people. They probably would eat about half of what is in this picture. XD


Sometimes the staff makes some really good food. Here is a picture of Pumpkin gratin. It is like potatoes au-grautin, but with pumpkin instead of potatoes. Actually very delicious. Oishii Desu!




However, sometimes the food is not very delicious. It seems the food is good when they cook Asian food. However, once they stray from that, not very good. I had some terrible "loco moco", and "Hamburg steak". However, the staff are some of the hardest workers I have ever seen. :) Very good people.


Here is a dinner. I think those were pork patties. They were good. There is some rice and miso soup. Three times a day everyday! Most of time you get a random side dish (Usually recycled from breakfast or lunch) or sometimes a couple of vegetables. The 


This is probably the hardest thing about adjusting to the cafeteria food: Most food is NOT warm. See those potatoes and carrots? Not warm. Eggs at breakfast, NOT WARM, See the pork patties? Not warm. See the rice and miso Soup? Warm :) Make sure you develop a taste for rice and miso soup. In America, you are required to hold foods above or below certain temperatures for health reasons. Above 140 F, or below 40 F. I don't believe so in Japan, at least keeping foods warm. You will see more examples of this later when we explore the super market. ;) 
None of the food (that is warm in America), is cold, so I think they are cooking the food, but they just don't maintain the temperature of the food.
There are toaster ovens, and a microwave. But the microwave has a big colorful sign on it that says "Trouble". So I haven't used it yet. :P I really need to take a picture of it.


Meh, enough about cafeteria food. 


Sayonara! (Good Bye)


さよなら!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to be able to hear about your adventure in Japan, Rexford. Maybe this menu is really a good way to lose or maintain weight? Not that you need that , I'm just sayin for the some of the rest of us...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "pork patty" is a pork cutlet called "tonkatsu" (it's very popular) ^^

    Isaac ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the post coming...enjoying the news:)

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete